Use Terminal to Connect to a Linux VPS without an SSH Key¶
These instructions are intended for Mac users that want to connect to a Linux VPS, without using an SSH Key. This step is to be completed on the computer that you will be using to manage the Linux VPS.
- If you can already connect to the Linux VPS, using Terminal, then proceed to the next section to Generate and Use SSH Keys with Terminal.
Open a new Terminal window on your Mac:
- Replace the variable <public_mn_ip_address_here> with your Linux VPS IP address
- Type yes to confirm that you want to connect using SSH
- Type in root and hit ENTER to login as the root user.
- Type in the root user password.
- NOTE: You may need to check the VPS provider website, or your email, to retrieve the root user password.
- NOTE: If you are connecting to a Digital Ocean VPS, then you will be prompted to change the root user password.
If you are able to login to the Linux VPS then this process is complete and you can proceed to next section to Generate and Use SSH Keys with Terminal.